Friday, January 2, 2009

Symptom Update

Just a real fast update since several have asked.


As you know, my last chemo treatment of this cycle was Wednesday.  I got to Seton about 12:45 for check in and got to my room about 1:30.  It took them till about 4:30 to get started so we did not get out of there till 10:30 that night.  I had to take my oral agent when I got home at 11.  I think it left a hole in my stomach that night.  I could feel the burn in the morning.  

They weighed me at 193 lbs. so I finally realized that I must have about 30 lbs. of fluid accumulation from my abdomen down to my feet.  No wonder I can’t walk or sit for more than a minute at a time.  I spend most of the day semi reclined with my feet up.  My blood pressure was a little better this time around but still high.  Temperature and other vitals good!

I did not sleep very well as usual.  Up about every hour and a half.  Still can't lay flat on my back or sides.

I felt pretty tired and beat up all day Thursday.  Heart burn most of the day.  Could not drink fluids with out the hiccups.  Started getting tongue sensitivity.  It became more difficult to eat and drink through the day.  Felt wired but lethargic at the same time and could not take a nap.  Mostly read and channel surfed.


I think I had one of the worst nights ever last night.  Maybe 2 hours of sleep total.  Would get random jerking hiccups.  Would try and drink some juice and would get hiccups and spill the drink on me.  Horrible sore throat, could not swallow, breath, drink or sleep.  

Had to keep back and head elevated most of the night.  Did not even try to sleep after 3 am.  Felt like my throat was closing off my airway and I had to clear the airway to breathe every minute or so.


When I think back just two weeks ago, before the  hospital incident,  I was able to walk up and down our drive, practice Qi gong, cook, maintain my leg swelling, drive, sit and play the piano and function in most daily activities.  At this point, I can't do any of those things.  It is hard to walk from one room to the next.


I am sure all this will pass or morph to something else in the next few days.  I am just lying low and hoping all will pass soon so I can be prepared for the next round.  Needless to say, I am not very fun to be around!


Till next time,

B



7 comments:

Phil's Blog said...

Thanks for the update. Wish I could project you a few weeks ahead so you could get this phase of things behind you. We missed you guys New Year's Eve, but you were in our thoughts.

We'll have your ass behind those ivories again before you know it!

"Complete remission in '09!!!"

Love, Phil

Anonymous said...

As in life for everyone, some days are good and some days not so good. Keep thinking about those little pac man guys eating up that cancer with the help of that chemo (even if it doesn't feel like a helper right now, it really is in there chewing away at that cancer stuff).
I am thinking that each day will get better and better and that is definitely something to look forward to.
I wish there was something more that I could do, but I'm sure you do too!!
Give my love to Glenda and all the family.
Here's hoping for a great (and I mean miracle GREAT) 2009!

Love ya,

Renee

Unknown said...

Life's tough right now, but I just know that the chemo is working hard to shrink your tumor and irridacate the cancer! Then you'll be up and around and working on your place. Throughout the day you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am here if there is anything that I can do for you! Love, Sandi

Unknown said...

Life's tough right now, but I just know that the chemo is working hard to shrink your tumor and irridacate the cancer! Then you'll be up and around and working on your place. Throughout the day you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am here if there is anything that I can do for you! Love, Sandi

Anonymous said...

Round 1 is in the bag, dude..and Clyde is not happy! Your inner strength will win this battle. We're here with you,on an adjacent walkway, with additional strength that is yours to tap at any time.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian,
I have a saying, you have to say good bye to say hello, In this case you have to have to have a bad day to realize the pure joy of a good day.

I know it sucks but it is true, this too shall pass. I am proud of your strength and your courage my friend. I am constantly visualizing and asking god to heal you, period. I liked the blog about that. To visualize it, truly believe it. so true.

It made me think, I usually pray for Gods' will and the strength to carry it out. No I am Visualizing and asking God to take the cancer from your body. Being a person of faith, I know it will happen.

Namaste my brother, We love you and Glenda very much;

Bryan C said...

Brian,

After reading alot of your posts, your positive attitude and drive astounds me. Since I can remember you have always had a positive energy about you. Keep your head up and your are in our thoughts and prayers daily.

Love,
Bryan & Monica