I need to take you back to Friday after the Big Day. Friday - tough day. I could barely talk to anyone with out tearing up. I would cry off and on, better now, but not done with it by any means. I was pretty sore and headachy. The drive and testing I guess. Maybe the talk with the family or the “this is it “ moment where everything was on the table.
My head was exploding with contradicting information. Information overload! I felt like someone had been smacking me upside the head.
I tend to overanalyze everything and try to get a gut check on it if my brain can’t logically find the truth. The amount of information/misinformation, legitimate studies, anecdotal testimonies -my gosh! Those of you in similar situations that have sought out answers and truths understand.
I was so confused, dizzy with information, a lyric in a song by Genesis came to mind.
“and I’m hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway” That’s exactly how I felt.
One would like to make informed decisions regarding ones life . I know the camp promoting all the alternative products and protocols that will cure cancer and tell you that the traditional chemo approach will only kill you. I have been in that camp for many years, even before I became an alternative health care practitioner. The chemotherapy approach has never been congruent with my health paradigm. Yet it can work and has had success. There are as many miraculous stories involving people going through chemotherapy as with any of the natural products.
The problem with both camps and the data they throw out is that of individuality. Something I have had a lot of training in through my functional medicine courses and the many years of testing patients and perusing medical literature. So tell me, how do you take a person who has a unique genetic biochemical individuality with different upbringing, environmental exposures, lifestyle, diet, mental/emotional makeup and belief systems and try to relate the data from one person to the next? You Can’t! You might get a bell curve lumping certain criteria together that you can point to. That is how most data on nutrition, diet and lifestyle can be interpretated anyway anyone chooses.
I won’t even go into the problems related to assessing anecdotal and testimonial information.
So where does that leave me as I hover on the freeway?
My decision has kind of been made for me. I am out of time and will put my full energy and will power into chemotherapy. I have some alternative tricks up my sleeve before, during and after which I will share at a later date. My first priority is to get stabilized. My first appointment with the local oncologist is this Wednesday.
On another note, many people that communicate with me offer advice on their own or another persons case. I know that your heart and concern is in the right place and I like to hear of the successes out there. However, and not to offend any good intentioned well wishers, I would really rather not hear, that if I did what Aunt Mabel did, and drank a liter carrot juice (substitute product of choice) daily for a month, I would be cured. It tends to frustrate me, not help me. Thanks for your consideration.
Is all this too harsh and direct? As I read it over, it seems a bit abrupt. Well I guess there will be good days and bad days.
Thanks for your time.
Love,
Brian
8 comments:
Hi Brian,
Thank you so much for taking the time to blog for us! I am sure there are (or will be) times you will not feel like doing it. But thank you for the effort to keep us informed and staying connected to those of us that feel so helpless!
Stay strong! And during the times you can't be strong, lean on God and let his strength carry you through.
The Lord bless you and keep you.
The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious unto you.
The Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace!
Lisa
Brian if the is anything that I can do please let me know. If you just need someone to hang with and listen to music, talk to, pal with, or if you need someone who lives near by for a spur of the moment thing; Please don't hesitate to call. Julie, Ryker and I are praying for you really hard right now.
keep the faith
-brad
Brian, It must be frustrating to have such little control over your situation. While it can be reassuring to receive the love and support from so many people, on the other hand I would think it could be upsetting to hear so much advice! How could any of us really know what it's like to go through what you are experiencing.
And I would say that your fly already hit the windshield! It was a terrible accident, and your injured. But hey, Brian, you are a survivor more than a victim. And your Oncologist even said that he has seen people survive from worse accidents.
Keep your faith, brother. Remember that Jesus told the Apostles and Thomas that "Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed." You can still believe in your healing, even though you may not be able to see it yet in your mind or imagination.
I think you are right, that given "Clyde's" advanced progression and your lack of warning, that you have little choice right now other than to embrace the Chemotherapy. And I know you will have other tricks up your sleeve to use later on. I agree with your intent to put your full energy and willpower into that effort - and we are all here to support you.
So, you have a plan - and you will need to prepare physically, emotionally, and spiritually to work on that plan soon. But don't forget to give yourself some breaks - from continually analyzing the situation. Especially for this Holiday season, I hope you will have a chance to enjoy some time with your family and friends - and maybe even to find some things to laugh about, which is always good for your immune system!
Here's wishing you a "good day", and many more - with Love, your brother Rick
Brian,
I love that you are setting your boundaries. I feel empowered when I see/hear someone ask for what they want.
Brian, I think it is perfect that you are being so honest and direct. This is about you, not us. You are so loved!
It's good for you to tell us all what you do and don't need! It's not being blunt, it's being honest. Love, Sandi
Love you...
I just shudder. Thank you for being so open -- nothing is fair about this.
I so appreciate your gift of this blog and your sheer openness to all of us. We are so ill-equipped to deal with 'stuff', but, heck, this? You, the true teacher...continue to lead us.
I like the idea of art/poetry...
Golly, we can all express our love and confusion via our preferred art forms! Art, poetry, prose, music...the tie that binds.
We can make beautiful music together! Always has been your true gift -- people person and healing modalities.
You know, our collective muse will be a wonderful thing!
xoxo, mlg
Hey Brian,
I am sorry you feel that you had a bad day, and perhaps you did, but it was a great day for me to hear you prepare for the fight. If you don't tell it like it is, well then what is the use of telling it at all.
Harsh?
Hardly!
Honest?
Absolutely!
I am happy you made a decision and treatment plan, I support it totally. I have faith that you have made the correct decision. I love that you are so positive, and my wish for you is that you can be positive while your preparing for a fight. That is evidence of a true master, a person who is true to his faith. It is something I would expect no less from you my friend. You are a inspiration to me and all. I will be right there with you in spirit on Wednesday, fighting with you and visualizing the MFClyde dyeing.
It reminds me of the Wicked Witch of the West, as she curls up into a pool, screaming I'm dyeing , I'm dyeing. F'ing A Clyde will be screaming the same.
Be good, be well, take care of yourself my friend.
You both remain in my thoughts and prayers~bryan
Post a Comment